Greetings Jazz Angels Everywhere:
We want to share the latest and greatest happenings with the Jazz Angels. Below is our fall newsletter in case you did not receive it in the mail or click here for the pretty version.
Veggie Grill Fundraiser
We're having a food/fun/friend/fundraiser at Veggie Grill in The Marketplace on PCH on Tuesday, 11/26 all day and night.
Here's the link with more info. Please click the button "COMMIT TO EAT" so that we can have this event.
Veggie Grill has incredible tasty and healthy food and will donate 33% of your tab to the Jazz Angels, enabling us to provide Jazz Angels programs to even more musicians.
IMPORTANT: Make sure to tell the server you're with the Jazz Angels.
See you there!
Here are the contents of our newsletter
in case you couldn't open the link.
Hello Jazz Angels,
Here are some cool notes and highlights about our happenings so far this year.
- A successful summer program at Rising TIDE’s youth summer camp in downtown Long Beach
- Our bands played at Bixby Park, Admiral Kidd Park, the SELA festival, LGB as well as our regular performances at Di Piazza’s, Roscoe’s Jazz Lounge, and Roxanne’s Cocktail Lounge & Latin Grill
- The newly established Community Performance Fund allowed our bands to perform at 40 different events ranging from Miller Children’s Hospital to MOLAA, to the city of Paramount’s Heritage Parade
- Special recognition from council members Al Austin and Roberto Uranga for our performance at the I Matter 2 Anti-Bullying and Suicide Awareness event
- The Herb Alpert Foundation became a Jazz Angels supporter
- We are now affiliated with Sabian cymbals
- Our first field trip to a concert at the Greek Theatre
- Jazz Angels has more employees and mentors than ever before
At the Jazz Angels, we create an environment for young musicians to play and help preserve jazz, while building self-esteem, confidence and leadership skills. In addition, we mentor very talented and awe-inspiring musicians. Jazz Angels alums are now attending North Texas University, Berklee College of Music, LBCC, CSU Long Beach and Fullerton. Three Jazz Angels alumni are in this year’s Disney All American College Band. Every year, close to 30% of the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association’s honor band are Jazz Angels students.
Special note from Lynne Kass & Kristina Shafton about Jazz on the Patio:
Sunday, May 5th was our most successful fundraiser ever! Over 240 guests joined us for an afternoon of fabulous food, craft beer & cocktails, amazing silent & live auction items, and the best jazz in town! In addition to our Jazz Angels students and pros, this year’s event featured Queen Cora, whose multi-genre drumming includes Super Bowl performances with Prince and Beyoncé. What a treat for our guests to see, hear and meet Queen Cora and for the Jazz Angels musicians to share the stage with her!
We raised almost $20,000 to support the
Jazz Angels and our new Community Performance Fund in honor of Dave Werts.
Thank you to all the sponsors, auction donors, committee & attendees for their support.
Save the date: Sunday, 5/17
- Jazz on the Patio 2020 -
No one does what we do!
Our method of teaching, customized arrangements, commitment to performing and improvising puts the Jazz Angels at a level of jazz preservation and education way above other organizations.
Our vision is to become the premier model for jazz preservation and education
We hope to see you at our upcoming spring session performances on 11/2, 11/10, 11/16 & 11/17.
Check our calendar on the website for details and to find out about other community performances.
If you follow us on social media, you are familiar with her posts about Jazz Angels. She also completely revamped our website jazzangels.org. She works tirelessly for the Jazz Angels.
Thank you, Linnea!
Winter Jazz Angels session begins 1/12/20
Register today at Jazzangels.org
Thank YOU for helping us keep jazz alive and provide a safe and nurturing place for ourn young people to express themselves through music.
Jazz Angels - 3258 East Willow St, Signal Hill, CA 90755 - 562.981.8410
The Jazz Angels is a non-profit public benefit corporation Federal Tax Exempt ID number: 84-1686341
Shop at Ralphs and Help us Out!
We are a non-profit, and we are listed with the Ralphs rewards program. Every time you shop there with your rewards card, they'll donate a percentage of your sale to us.
If you shop at Ralphs, either
- go to your account online to add us to your rewards program
- OR simply bring this letter to the manager of the store (not the cashiers), usually found near the entrance.